29 November 2008

Thanksgiving, Shopping and a Puddle

For some reason this year, Thanksgiving felt kind of weird. Perhaps it's because it was the first intimate small affair I've had for Thanksgiving in forever! We didn't even have all of my immediate family and there was no second dinner. We've become used to cooking a large affair with Steve and Heather and even having dinner with her family. So, having dinner with my parents and only two siblings with their families was a little strange. Maybe next year we'll plan a big one or go up to Utah. (don't worry Heather, I'll definitely do the cooking and only impose on your living space!) After getting fat and eating thousands of calories, my sister and I planned Black Friday. It has become a tradition for me and is something I actually enjoy. We decided I would drive to Chino at about 3 am so we could go to Wal-Mart before it started its deals. Dave had to work at noon so we weren't sure what to do about the baby and I finally decided to take him with me and allow Laura to do all the running and pushing. At about 9:30 Thanksgiving night, we decided it might be better if I just spent the night in Chino so I didn't have to drive in the morning. After getting to bed at 11:30 at my sister's house in Chino in my niece's bed (which was not comfortable at all) I ended up getting about 3 hours of sleep between waking up with the baby. We got a late start and got to Wal-Mart around 4ish. We saw a line outside and were confused...Wal-Mart generally just has pallets in the aisles and people crowd around until they're opened at 5am. This Wal-Mart decided to do things differently. (I say this with a very bitter look on my face) They sectioned off the food side of the store and placed all of the doorbusters in the aisles there. They then formed a line (which snaked around the entire store and out the door at least 50 yards). They then allowed people in a few at a time to do their shopping. They were not given limits and were able to grab as many of the doorbusters as they wanted. We were not in line very far out of the store, but by the time we got to the doors people were coming out with PURCHASED doorbusters. Miraculously there were a few items left by the time we got in there, but the one thing we wanted and needed (I didn't even buy movies) was the Samsung camera and they were all gone. I HATE the way they did it because it was horribly unfair. People should have had to pick what they wanted. My theory is that had they not done it that way I would probably have gotten my camera. Somebody who had the camera 5th on their list would not have arrived at the cameras by the time I got to it as my first item. However, as they were walking by them to pick up their GPS they threw it in their cart. BOOOOO. So mad we didn't get it, but whatever. There's always next year, right? On to something with a little humor value... Later that day we went to Tom's Farm in Corona so my parents could look for a TV stand in the furniture store. We were walking around outside with my sister and her three kids waiting for the train to come around so they could ride it. It arrived and a family got off that had two kids. One was like 3 or 4 and the other looked around a year old, 18 months at most. He bent down to inspect a puddle and I watched him put his hands in it (it was pretty little, like 8 inches in diameter and on the dirty cement). I turned away for a second, while my mom turned to watch him. Suddenly he got down on his hands and knees, put his face to the puddle and started slurping. My mom said "Oh my goodness" and his parents rushed to him saying things like "No, if you're thirsty we'll get you something to drink!" and "Dude, don't do that". It was really one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. It was a good end to a long day.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Wow...I so am not a Black Friday shopper!! Glad you got some of the things you wanted.

Heather said...

Gotta love having a humor break on a day like that. That's funny. I so missed you this Thanksgiving. It was nice that we went to my sister's house b/c it was busy and crazy. We went out for the sales at about 8am in Boise and found everything my sister was looking for. Didn't go to Wal-mart. I'm sure that would have been a different story, but it was a really nice, mellow shopping trip for us. Utah County and Wal-marts in general do not fare that well. After hearing what happened in the New York Wal-mart I don't know that I ever want to go back again! That's probably why they made new rules at your Wal-mart--enough time to tweak things a bit after hearing what happened out east...