28 June 2009
My first fondant covered cake!
Due to my family history and my general know how of baking... some may be surprised to learn that I cannot bake a cake. That was, until yesterday! Before yesterday, I had never made a double layer cake that did not crack and split to expose the grand canyon. That or the whole top layer of the cake would come off with chunks when I frosted it. I don't know why I can't bake cakes... it just has never worked.
In searching for egg replacer so I can make cookies David can eat, we discovered Vitamin City! They have shelves full of stuff that's wheat free and egg free! We bought him some cookies and crackers and more of the brown rice bread he loves so much ($4 for a little bitty loaf by the way) and also a wheat free cake mix. I wanted to practice making him a birthday cake, and I have been wanting to make some marshmallow fondant. It turned out amazing! My cake layers were even and stayed together. They frosted easily and nicely and when I made the fondant today, I didn't really have any trouble. The only problem I had was closing the seam... which I think could be solved if I watched the how-to video online. Anyway, I feel so proud of my accomplishment... is that wrong? The day always feels so much better when I do something I'm not sure I'll be able to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would be pleased too if I could bake a cake like that! I actually have never even tried to do more than a cake in a glass pan made from a box. I have made my own frosting before but, I'm impressed on your cake...it looks great! I'm not much of a baker...I don't think I have the patience for the more detailed baking! lol My kids either get my simple cake or if we are feeding an army they pick a cake out at Costco! lol
Congratulations!! That is one nice looking cake. You'll have to give me fondant lessons!
Post a Comment